Corfu Museum of Asian Art
Set in the amazing structure of the Palace of Saints Michael and George in the core of Corfu Town, the Museum of Asian Art contains a dazzling exhibit of antiquities from all finished Asia — generally gathered by ambassador Grigorios Manos — and additionally a fine new accumulation of pieces of clothing and gems from Central Asia in the Jason Deighton-Sartzetakis room.
The Corfu Museum of Asian Art is the main historical center in Greece only devoted to Far Eastern and Indian workmanship and relic. The historical center is housed in the Palace of Sts Michael and George.The neoclassical, Georgian-style building is developed in Maltese limestone and was worked in the nineteenth century amid the Ionian Islands British occupation. In 1864, after the Ionian Islands’ reunification with Greece, it progressed toward becoming property of the Greek state, and since 1928 it houses the Museum of Asian Art.The Palace is a three-story building and the principle entrance drives straightforwardly to the ground floor, where four corridors are interested in people in general, the three utilized for the Museum’s brief presentations and the fourth room, the Ionian Senate Conference Hall. The changeless exhibitions of the historical center are found in the two initially floor wings. In the east wing, likewise called the Gregorios Manos wing, some portion of the Museum’s Chinese accumulation is in plain view, while in the west wing, known as N. Hadjivassiliou wing, curios from India and its more extensive encompassing range, and also from Japan are exhibited.Gregorios Manos (1850-1928), a Greek represetative to Austria, was the man who imagined and established the Museum. In the late nineteenth and mid twentieth century, he acquired at craftsmanship barters in Vienna and for the most part in Paris roughly 9,500 Chinese, Korean and Japanese antiquities. He accumulated an astounding and finish gathering, which he recorded and classified himself, with about logical consistency. Accordingly, he could be genuinely portrayed as not only a straightforward gatherer, but rather, maybe, as the main Greek expert on Far Eastern art.G. Manos’ Sino-Japanese accumulation gave the chance to the establishment of the ‘Exhibition hall of Sino-Japanese Art’, while in the meantime it turned into the focal point of fascination for extra gifts. The Museum gloats a gathering of around 10,500 things of Asian craftsmanship, coming (aside from the Manos accumulation) likewise from the private accumulations of N. Hadjivassiliou and C. Chiotakis, and also from singular thing gifts made by I. Siniossoglou, P. Almanahos and I. Kollas. The Hadjivassiliou accumulation specifically included 400 works from India, Pakistan, Tibet, Siam and Northeast Asia, consequently changing its strict Sino-Japanese character and bringing about its being renamed «Exhibition hall of Asian Art».Collection Size : About 10,500 objectsCollections:
China (Neolithic to nineteenth century): pottery, bronzes, enamel, painting, materials, woodsculptures, things of valuable materials, jewllery, and so forth.
Japan (fourth nineteenth century): pottery, bronzes, enamel, painting, prints, materials, regular daily existence things, Kabuki theater veils, melodic instruments, woodsculptures, glass and valuable materials things, Samurai covering and weaponry, and so forth.
Korea (nineteenth – twentieth century) :pottery, sketches
Balluch floor coverings and materials
India (second century BC to nineteenth century AD) : stone, wood and bronze religious figure, smaller than expected painting
Afganistan-Pakistan (2 century BC-fifth century AD): Gandhara dark schist buddhist reliefs
Nepal – Tibet (seventeenth – nineteenth century) : bronze religious model and painted votive flags
Some Southeast Asian figures
Opening TimesMonday to Sunday 08:00 – 20:00
Facilities for disabled
Corfu Museum of Asian Art
49100 Palaia Anaktora
Corfu — Greece
Τ: 30 26610 30443, 20193
F: 30 26610 81932
The Antivouniotissa Museum holds a fabulous gathering of Byzantine workmanship. Housed in the de-sanctified church of a similar name, it gloats a great scope of symbols, figures, mosaics, and some pre-Christian ancient rarities.
The historical center is housed in the Old Fortress in the lovely church, devoted to the Holy Virgin «Our Lady of Antivouniotissa» (Kyra Antivouniotissa) which is one of the most established places of worship in Corfu and dates from the fifteenth century. It is likewise the most seasoned, most total, and best protected case of the ‘Heptanesian Basilica’ style church. The Museum gathering incorporates noteworthy works by both understood and mysterious specialists, dating from the fifteenth to the twentieth century and speaks to six centuries of imaginative religious articulation and creation in Corfu and the Ionian Islands.
01Apr — 31Oct Tue-Sun, 0830-1530
01Nov — 31Mar Tue-Sun, 0830-1530
Archaeological Museum of Corfu
Corfu’s Archeological Museum has some essential discovers spread over its two stories, and none more so than the amazing 17-meter Gorgon pediment from a Doric sanctuary in Paleopolis.
The Archeological Museum of Corfu (Greek: Αρχαιολογικό Μουσείο Κέρκυρας) in Corfu, Greece was worked between 1962 – 1965. The exhibition hall arrive was given by the city of Corfu. Its underlying object was to house the archeological finds from the Temple of Artemis in Corfu. In 1994 it was extended with the expansion of two more show corridors that show the later finds at the antiquated bastion of Corfu. It is situated on 1 Vraila Armeni St.
The accumulations of the historical center include:
• An accumulation of obscure starting point
• Finds from unearthings from the old city of Corfu
• Finds from the locale of Cassiope in Corfu.
• Finds from unearthings in the locale of Thesprotia.
The fundamental displays are:
• The Gorgon pediment from the Artemis sanctuary of Corfu. It is the most seasoned stone pediment in Greece dated to 590-580 BC and is portrayed in the New York times audit of the exhibition hall as: the finest case of Archaic sanctuary form surviving.
• The Lion of Menecrates. This is crafted by a renowned Corinthian stone worker of the Archaic period. Dated to the finish of the seventh century BC.
• The pediment of Dionysus (Bacchus). Dated to 500 BC.
• The base and part of the body of a kore from the late Archaic period. It was found amid the unearthing of an earthenware workshop in the zone of Figareto.
• A marble middle of Apollo. This is a duplicate of the first statue of «Parnopios Apollo» made by Pheidias (its sort is known as the «Kassel Apollo»). Dated to the second century AD.
• Funerary stele of Philistion girl of Agenos and Arpalis, with engraving: Φιλίστιον Χ[αιρε]. Δοιαί μεν δεκάδες σε τελειοτόκων ενιαυτών ήδη και τριτάτου κύκλος επείχεν έτευς μισγομένα φθιμένοιαι, φιλίστιον, ανίκα πέ[νθος] ματρί πολυθρηνήτω κάλλιπες Αρπαλίδι. δώμα δ’ Αριστάνδροιο λελονχότος άκριτον αί[σαν] και τέκεα κρυερά θήκας εν ορφανία. Αγήνος κλυτόν αίμα, σε δ’ ύστατον ύπνον ελο[ύσαν]. πικρός όδε ζοφερά τύμβος έδεκτ[ο κόνει]. roughly interpreted as: Greetings Philistion. You went twenty three years of age in the black market and left your mom Arpalis in grieving, your significant other Aristandros widower and confounded, and the youngsters cool as vagrants. [You], the heavenly blood of Agenos, having decided for yourself the last rest, this astringent, pitch-dim tomb has acknowledged you [in the dust].
• The earthenware statuettes of Artemis. They were found in substantial amounts in the little sanctuary of Artemis at Kanoni in Corfu city.
• Four cases with coins found in unearthings at different destinations of Corfu.
Folklore Museum of Messi Sinarades
The Sinarades Folklore Museum is essentially an old town house that has been protected in aspic, with unique period furniture and individual things. Its magnificence is that the vast majority of whatever is left of the town comprises of old houses, so it mixes in with the surroundings consistently.
The Historic – Folklore Museum of Messi, Corfu, was introduced in August 1982 in the conventional town of Sinarades, 13 kilometers from Corfu Town, while since 1985 it is housed in a private old two-story chateau. Access to the house’s initially floor is given by an outer stone staircase, which closes in a «bontzos» (veranda). This floor exhibits a provincial place of a medium money related condition, as it developed inside a century (1860-1960) in the towns of Messi regionof Corfu.
The house incorporates a «portigo» (entrance), a kitchen, a lounge area, a corridor and a room. The separate furniture and utensils have been set in those rooms.
On the left half of the passage to the principal floor there is a way to the interior staircase which prompts the second floor. We are in a little room which is a library, a chronicle of old archives and certain little accumulations.
We go up two steps and we get into a big room with folk sections:
Corfu costumes and musical instruments.
Tools for agriculture
Hand-mill and “mountzouri”.
Measures – Weights – Balances
Tools for home handicraft and repairing.
The Messi Folk Museum is open daily (from May to October), except for Mondays, from 9.30am till 2.00 pm (tel. 26610-54962).
Mon Repos Palace
Mon repos Palaiopoli museum
The estate of Mons Repos was designed by the English architect Whitemore in 1864, after the attachment of the Ionian Islands to the Greek estate, the municipality of Corfu offered the palace and its gardens to the dynasty of King George to use it as a summer residence. The king George was the person who called the palace and gardens Mon Repos meaning my rest.
The Museum itself is now housed in the Mon Repos mansion and exhibts include figurines, statues, and artefacts found in Palaiopolis, including household, commercial and religious objects that reveal interesting aspects of the private and public lives led by the ancient Corfiots.
The whole area is well worth visiting and the gardens alone offer beautiful shaded walks that lead down to a secluded beach area. There are excavation works being carried out in the grounds and many ancient monuments are still being uncovered.
Mon Repos Estate, Τ.Κ. 49100, Kerkyra
Telephone: 30 26610 41369
Corfu Shell Museum
On the northern edge of Benitses, Corfu Shell Museum has an amazing number of shells and the remaining parts of other marine animals, all excitedly presented and clarified by the proprietors.
The shark’s head is particularly alarming.
he Sea Shell Museum of Corfu: The Sea Shell Museum of Corfu is housed in an advanced working around 2 km before Benitses town, a prevalent visitor resort in Corfu. This fascinating exhibition hall is a private activity of the jumper and authority Mr Napoleon Sagias, who lived in Australia for over 20 years and returned in 1989 to his country, Corfu. At that point, having a vast accumulation of ocean shells and fish fossils, he chose to open this gallery, that is currently overseen by his family. Amid the jumping undertakings of Mr Sagias in the Pacific and the Indian Ocean with his group, he got a huge accumulation of shells, fossils, wipes, corals, stuffed fish, sharks and shark teeth, lobsters, crabs, ocean urchins, snakes of the ocean and numerous other intriguing pieces that territory now showed in the historical center. The most costly and uncommon shell of the historical center is the Cypraea fultoni shell, whose cost has been evaluated at 22,000 USD. Guests can likewise observe the shell Tridacna gigas, which weights 65 kg, and Haliotis iris, the most delightful shell on the planet, that can be found in Nea Zealand. In September 1998, the Italian research Institute IREDA granted the Corfu Shell Museum for its work and the general commitment.
St. Spyridon Church
St. Spyridon Church, dedicated to the island’s patron saint whose remains are kept inside, is the most important on the island. As well as boasting plenty of fine paintings, it contains numerous other valuable ecclesiastical objects. Its elegant campanile also stands out for some distance.
The Church of Saint Spyridon is situated in the heart of Corfu town just behind the Liston. Originally the church was built in San Rocco square but in 1590 was built at its present location.
The exterior of the church is typical of the Venetian architecture and its bell tower is the highest point in the town ensuring it can be seen for miles and when approaching by sea. The bell tower built in 1620 is plain and squarely profiled in an Italian style which resembles the Greek Church St. Giorgio’s Del Greci bell tower in Venice but with a red dome. Underneath the bell there is a clock with Latin numbers and gold pointers.
The top of the church is divided into 17 parts with golden frames painted by the artist, Panagiotis Doxaras, in 1727. However due to humidity these initial painting were destroyed and in 1852 the top of the church was restored by the artist Nikolaos Aspiotis.
Saint Spyridon, who is considered the keeper of Corfu and his remains can be found in the church behind the Alter, housed in a shrine made in Vienna in 1867. His remains are carried around the town of Corfu four times a year to celebrate his miracles (Palm Sunday, Good Friday, August 11th, first Sunday of November).
Saint Spyridon was born in 270 A.D. in Assia, a village in Cyprus and was a shepherd who married and had a daughter. After his wife’s death, his daughter entered a convent and he vowed to lead a monastic life. He studied and gained wisdom and grace in the religious virtues and participated in the First Ecumenical Council of Nicaea (325) countering the theological arguments of Arius and his followers. He served as a Bishop of Trimythous, a district of Larnaca Cyprus, until he died in 348 A.D. When the Arabs conquered Cyprus, his body was disinterred and taken to Constantinople but his remains were found intact with a sprig of Basil. After Constantinople fell in 1453, his relics were moved to Corfu by the priest Grigorios Polyefktos.
It is believed Saint Spyridon saved Corfu four times from dangers, in 1629 & 1673 he saved the islanders from plague, in 1533 he saved the island from famine and in 1716 he saved it from the Ottoman attack, which is why he is the most important and revered of saints on the Island and many men and boys are named after him.
Add: Filarmonikis 19, Corfu Town
Serbian Museum of Corfu
The Serbian Museum of Corfu is entrancing in light of the fact that it tells a little known bit of history: when the Serbian government and around 150,000 officers took shelter on the island amid three years of WWI. Presentations incorporate loads of photographs, outfits, and other military gear.
The Serbian Museum of Corfu houses uncommon displays from the Serbian officers’ lamentable destiny amid the First World War. The remainders of the Serbian Army of around 150,000 officers together with their administration estranged abroad, discovered asylum and sanctuary in Corfu, following the fall of the Serbian Front because of the Austro-Hungarian assault of the 6 October 1915. Displays incorporate photos from the three years remain of the Serbians in Corfu, together with garbs, arms and ammo, regimental banners, religious curios, surgical devices and different enrichments of the Kingdom of Serbia.